WORLD MOUNTAIN RUNNING ASSOCIATION ATHLETES COMMISSION: ADVOCATES FOR ATHLETE REPRESENTATION
The World Mountain Running Association (WMRA) is delighted to announce the establishment of the Athletes Commission following a call for applications made in August. This significant step signifies the WMRA's commitment to fostering athlete representation and engagement within the realm of mountain running.
Taken a significant stride towards inclusive decision-making and athlete representation with the establishment of the Athletes Commission. This newly formed body aims to bridge the gap between the WMRA Council and international athletes, ensuring their perspectives, expertise, and concerns are at the forefront of discussions and decisions related to mountain running.
The new WMRA Athetes Commission members who will serve until the next elections in September 2025 are:
WHAT IS THE WMRA ATHLETES COMMISSION PURPOSE?
- To ensure that the Council of the WMRA can benefit from the perspective and expertise of past and current international athletes in its deliberations and decision making.
- To provide international athletes with a formal mechanism for ensuring that their views on important matters are heard by the WMRA Council
WHAT ARE THE WMRA ATHLETES COMMISSION DUTIES?
- At all times make decisions and provide advice based on the best interests of the discipline of mountain running
- To bring matters to the WMRA Council for discussion and or recommendation via the stated Council liaison person (currently John Bowden)
- Where requested, provide feedback and guidance on relevant matters to the WMRA Council.
- Proactively help provide an open two-way communication channel between the WMRA Council and international athletes.
- It is not envisaged that the Athletes Commission will need to physically meet, rather that it will work via electronic means.
- At all times, act in a manner which best represents the spirit of mountain running.
The establishment of the WMRA Athletes Commission signifies a pivotal moment in ensuring that the voices of athletes resonate within the corridors of decision-making within the mountain running community. By advocating for athlete representation and actively engaging in discussions that shape the future of the sport, this Commission stands as a testament to the commitment of the WMRA to embrace inclusivity, expertise, and collaboration in furthering the discipline of mountain running.
MORE INFO HERE